Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Spirit

Finally, after all of this time, it looks like we might be getting some good old fashioned Christmas spirit...SNOW!  It's no secret around here that I love the snow, especially before Christmas, but I have been waiting very patiently.  Looks like all my waiting is about to pay off!  My small little town has been placed in a Winter Storm Watch with Blizzard Warnings about 2 counties north of here.  With any luck, that will drop a little further south and BAM!!!!  We have ourselves one heck of a winter storm and I get to keep my happy rear stuck inside with my puppies and a bunch of Christmas decorating! 

Some of my best childhood memories include the huge snow storms that would come thru and dump inches of snow, school would be canceled and my mom would be home with my sister and I.  My dad always made it into work, he had to, he owns a clothing store and when it snows, everyone ends up there getting their winter gear...including the city road crew!  But when he would come home at 5pm he would always let me go outside with him while he would clear the driveway and let me "help".  Mom would be making dinner, usually a casserole of some sort and wait for us to be done.  More than likely that night, dad would start a fire in the fireplace and we all would be nice and warm.

That is just one of many winter memories that comes to mind.  Another one was when I was probably 5 or 6 and we had a huge snow storm come thru on Christmas Eve.  Dad could barely make it home from the store and no one could make it to our house that night for dinner.  My mom had been cooking and cleaning all day long and we were left with a bunch of soup and sandwiches for days.  That was the only time my sister and I were allowed to open a gift on Christmas Eve.  I would say that was one of my favorite Christmas memories growing up.    

Funny how all of those memories drift into your thoughts, all because of a simple snow flake or two.  So, while I wait for the storm to hit and walk down memory lane, I think I'd better go to the grocery store and pick something up to make just in case I can't get there tomorrow, now I just have to figure out what i want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...