Saturday, June 4, 2011

Not So Traditional Taco Salad

 
Summer has finally hit, but it's not truly summer in my household until you've made what our family calls Taco Salad.  It's not your traditional Taco Salad.  In fact, our family thinks it's better and it's a lot easier!   I don't have a picture of my salad because I couldn't get a decent one taken.  So, I posted the next best thing.  Two of my favorite pre-op foods which also happen to be two of the ingredients...weird ;)  I will add real quick before I post the recipe that I don't use the fully loaded ranch dressing anymore.  I now use either reduced fat or fat free, which ever one is on sale, and I can't tell the difference.  This salad is so yummy, your family will come back for seconds or thirds even.  Or if they are like my dad, you just go ahead and get your bowl and he takes the rest! 


Taco Salad
1 lb ground beef or turkey
minced onion
1 medium can chili beans
1 tomato, peeled and diced
1 bag shredded lettuce
1 bag low fat or fat free shredded cheese
1 bag Doritos
1 bottle ranch dressing

Brown ground beef with some minced onion.  When beef is done drain off grease and return back to pan.  Drain the juices from the can of chili beans into the ground beef and simmer on low for about 5 mins or so.  Remove from heat and place in a deep serving dish.  Top the beef with the can of chili beans and chill at least 2 hours in the fridge.  Just before serving, top with diced tomatoes, then the lettuce and finally top with cheese.  To serve, take a handful of Doritos and crush them up into a salad bowl.  Spoon salad on top of Doritos and top with ranch dressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...