Tuesday, October 26, 2010

UGH!!!! Keeping a Food Journal

So, I will admit, I hate keeping a food journal.  But I think it needs to be done at this stage of my journey.  I've been looking into a couple of different food journal sites and have finally decided on SparkPeople.com  I'm really struggling to get my liquids and my proteins in so something needs to change.  SparkPeople has an application for my Droid phone, so hopefully this will help out some.  I'm not hungry at all and most days my pouch is so grouchy I'm afraid of putting food into it.  I need some major help with this before I start burning muscle and not fat.

The surgeon told me I'm going to have to force feed myself in order to get my protein in, but it's hard to wrap my mind around that.  Eating when I wasn't hungry is what got me this size to being with, so I needed to eat less.  Enter WLS.  Now I'm definitely eating less and now I'm supposed to force feed myself because I'm not hungry?  When did this change?  I have tried to adopt the mantra, "I eat to live, not live to eat", but it's not working.

I have noticed, however, that the further I get into my different stages of food the more protein I am getting in so that has helped.  My main struggle???  Protein shakes.  No matter how I make them, I just can't get them down anymore.  Sometimes the chicken Unjury powder is going down, but not as often as it should.

I will admit, this is the hardest part for me right now, so if anyone has any suggestions to help me out, I would greatly accept them.  I want to make sure I succeed in this process and to do that, I have to get my fluids and proteins in.  Speaking of which, it's time for some lunch...tuna salad, deli meat or egg salad, all without bread of course.  Pretty big decisions today.  Have a good one!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie -
    I'm a fellow newbie (RNY on 9/29/10), and I have tried numerous protein powders and shakes, without much luck. I can't get past the taste. What I have found that is working for me is a 12 oz glass of skim milk, and an added 1/3 cup scoop of powdered nonfat dry milk (which adds 8 g protein). And these single-serve packets sold at Kroger in the coffee/hot cocoa aisle you add to flavor milk. They have vanilla, chocolate malt, and strawberry, and all are sugar free. So I have a 12 oz drink that tastes like a milkshake, and gives me 20 grams of protein. I have one every day - it has helped my "totals" out tremendously. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...