Sunday, July 28, 2013

Super Easy Sweet & Sour Chicken

Where would I be without my slow cooker?  I have used it Saturday and today both!  I may or may not have a slight addiction to slow cookers.  Currently, I have 2 large ones, 1 medium one, 1 small one and 1 for work.  I have this programmable slow cooker and it gets used the most.  I love that you can set it and when it's done cooking, it will automatically put itself on warm.  My other large one just has a high, low and warm function.  It's my backup slow cooker.  My medium one is about 3 quarts and is the perfect size for 2 packages of little smokies or a dip recipe.  The small one I hardly use because the food container doesn't come out, so it pretty much collects dust.  This one is a food warmer and I use it at work.  It's 20 oz and perfect for heating food.  It's not meant to cook raw foods, but is perfect otherwise.  It has one setting which is low.  When I get to work at 6am, I plug it in and by noon my lunch is ready to eat.  I've been using the heck out of it and the best part?  The food container comes out so you can wash it!  PERFECT! 

Today I decided to make sweet and sour chicken in the slow cooker.  I took the easy way out, but it still tasted pretty darn good!  The only thing missing were the egg rolls.  Maybe next time. 


Super Easy Sweet & Sour Chicken



Super Easy Sweet & Sour Chicken

2 lbs chicken, cubed
2 (16oz) bottles sweet & sour sauce
16oz pkg stir fry vegetables, thawed
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water

  1. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.  In large bowl combine cubed chicken and sweet and sour sauce.  Pour into slow cooker.
  2. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.
  3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water.  Pour into slow cooker and mix well.  Add thawed vegetables.  Cover and cook on high for 30 more minutes.
  4. Serve over rice.  

How much more simple could you get?!  Instead of cooking rice from "scratch" I picked up one of those flavored rice packets, the Stir Fry one.  Again, super easy.  This makes a bunch, so I will be freezing some of it and I will be making it again.  Next time I might actually make my sweet and sour sauce from scratch, depending on how ambitious I'm feeling.  And I think I might add some red pepper flakes to give it a kick.

Speaking of ambitious, I suppose I'd better go start folding laundry.  I'm always shocked at how much laundry I have for being single.  Where does it all come from?!


Until next time!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...