Friday, July 26, 2013

Wahoo!!! It's The Weekend!!!

We did it!  We made it to the weekend and not a day too soon!  This week seemed a little long for me because I picked up an extra day last Sunday at work, but the paycheck will be well worth it.  Just a quick post tonight because I have a recipe I want to share with you all.  With the weather being nice and cool this weekend, this one would be perfect to pop in the oven and not heat up the house.

This recipe started as a black bean casserole but I tweaked it.  A lot.  It didn't have any corn, pepper or chicken so I decided to add some and it turned out pretty darn good.  I also messed with the measurements.  I think it would have been better topped with sour cream, so keep that in mind.  Next time I might use salsa instead of picante sauce.  Mainly because I don't know what the difference is.  I'll admit it, I'm no Julia Child LOL  Here is my version of the casserole.


Chicken, Corn and Black Bean Casserole



Chicken, Corn and Black Bean Casserole

2-3 chicken breasts, cubed
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 small onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
16oz jar picante sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups Mexican blend cheese
12 6inch corn tortillas

   1.  In a large skillet, cook chicken.  Add green pepper, undrained tomatoes, corn, picante sauce, garlic and cumin.  Bring to boiling, reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.  Stir in beans.

 2.  Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.  Top with half of the tortillas (overlapping) and half of the cheese.  Add another 1/3 of bean mixture, then remaining tortillas (overlapping) and top with remaining bean mixture.

3.  Cover and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

 
I would say it took me about a 1/2 hour to cut the chicken, onion and pepper and that was the hardest part of the recipe.  So, super easy in my books!  I have to run, but hope to post another recipe tomorrow if it turns out well.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Until next time!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. This looks simple, yet incredibly flavorful and delicious. :) I'm adding it to my to-make list, with one change: frozen diced peppers and onions, because I'm lazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh lazy, my middle name at times LOL I have started cutting up and freezing strips of red, green and yellow peppers. I don't think it's lazy, it's thinking ahead? LOL

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...