Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Working and Leftovers

Chicken Mock Pie
Yesterday was my first day back to work since before my surgery on October 5.  I was a mixed bag of emotions, not only the night before but about 3 days before as well.  Friday night I had this huge overwhelming feeling.  I couldn't explain it to anyone at first and then it hit me.  For some strange and unknown reason I felt that when I went back to work I had to show them I had made huge results.  That if I didn't look like I had lost weight that my 6 weeks off work was a complete and total waste.  By Saturday that feeling had left and I thought, if they don't like what they see, they can all go pound sand, but that wasn't the case at all Monday morning.  It was so good to be back and to have everyone tell me how happy they are to have me back. 

Sunday rolled around and I started to think about what I was going to take to work for lunch the next day.  I flipped thru my cookbooks and websites and finally decided on a family recipe for Chicken Pot Pie.  But, I was going to have to alter it...A LOT!  Our family recipe has a mashed potato crust and a whole can of those green bean casserole french fried onions (yum!) not to mention tons and tons of cheese.  So after searching thru my pantry and freezer, I came up with my Chicken Mock Pie.  It was awesome!  I can't believe I actually altered a recipe and that it tasted good on top of that!  So, I'll share it with you guys and let me know what you think about it.  It's what I took to work Monday and what I had for dinner tonight. 

1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (I used Healthy Request by Campbell's)
1/4 cup skim milk
2 cans of chicken, drained
1 small bag of frozen veggies, cooked (I used the pea, carrots, corn and green bean mix)
minced onion (I didn't have real onion on hand)
1/2 cup Weight Watchers Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese
dash of garlic salt
dash of kosher salt
dash of pepper
1/4 tsp ground mustard
Parmesan Cheese for topping (grated)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook veggies according to package directions.  Strain off any access liquids, pour into mixing bowl.  Add remaining ingredients into veggies and mix together.  You may want more or less salt, garlic salt and pepper depending on your tastes, so season to taste.  Pour mixture into a 9x9 casserole dish (or something the same size) and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake for 30 minutes.

*I had about 1/2 cup for dinner and I'm 6 weeks out.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...