Saturday, May 7, 2011

My New Addiction

Yummy!!!
Well, the time has come to admit I have a problem.  I am an addict.  My name is Katie and I'm addicted to Dr Pepper (diet and caffeine free of course) *hangs head in shame* 

When I first started my weight loss journey, I had to break up with Diet Coke.  It was a horrible break up, you can read about it here.  It was a very hard thing for me to do, but it had to be done.  Sure, I had problems sleeping and almost took it back, more than once.  But a clean break is what I needed and what was best.

Two weeks ago I picked up this little box at the grocery store.  It wasn't flashy or anything special, but it was on sale.  I have been craving the taste of Dr Pepper for awhile now and I just kept fighting it off.  It's no secret I've gone back to pop and had some here and there, but it's always been diet and it's never been Diet Mt Dew (my old crutch) and it was a treat.  Now, before you flame me, my surgeon doesn't mind pop after 6 months of surgery, but it has to be diet and they would like it to be caffeine free.  So, I waited like a good girl for my 6 months and had a pop and it didn't do much.  But after awhile I noticed it wasn't the caffeine or the carbonation I missed, but the taste.  It took me 6 months for the WLS light bulb to finally kick in and understand my cravings and what they really were.  Sure, pop was something from my past, a very big part of my past.  But before I used to drink it because I wanted the caffeine and sugar rush.  But today, I wanted the flavor and that was it.  I finally made a break thru (in my mind) and realized it's okay to have this as long as I don't over do it. 

Now, many people will feed you lines of OMG!  You can't have pop!  It will stretch your stomach!  Is that true?  No, but if your surgeon tells you no pop, then no pop (your surgeon always trumps the general public, remember that).  But I talked this over with my surgeon and like I said earlier, caffeine free and diet.  I go one step further and fill a glass with ice, pour in the pop and let it sit for awhile until most of the carbonation is gone.  If you've never had carbonation with your new pouch I suggest you skip it, unless you like the feeling of being bloated for hours.  Oh, and if you're like me, there's only one way that carbonation comes out...and it ain't up!

3 comments:

  1. Man, I'm *almost* jealous. I haven't had pop for almost two and a half years. I wanted a clean break before the WLS so I stopped the habit in February of 09. Now, I can't even drink the carbonation stuff. Hurts my pouch. I just stay away from it. I'm actually at the point I don't miss it anymore. Glad you can enjoy it at times! I guess I'll stick to my ice tea and strawberry lemonade. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still pre-op, but I love my Diet Dr. Pepper...and will even drink the caffeine free kind. However, after 2 months of being pop free, I had, um, too many this past week! Ugh, now, I'll have to break my bad habit....AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberry lemonade? That sounds so good right now! Is it your own recipe? If so, can you share it please? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...