Monday, January 7, 2013

A Little Slow Cooker Goodness


Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE my slow cooker.  I try to make everything I can in it...it's quick, it's easy...and best of all?  Wait for it...wait for it...clean up is a breeze!!!!

Fall and Winter are by far my most favorite seasons to use my slow cooker, but that doesn't stop me from using it all year round.  I have 4, yes count them 4 slow cookers.  And yes, every single one of them is a MUST!  I have a small one that can be used for warm dips, a medium sized one that's perfect for about 2 chicken breast halves and some veggies.  Then I have 2 large ones.  One large one I use only for work and then my other one only for home use.

If you're in the market for a new slow cooker, may I suggest this one?  This thing ROCKS!  It's programmable...and worth the extra $$$ just for that feature.  You'll see why when I post the recipe.  But really, it truly is worth the money.  There are 2 different modes, manual and programmable.  One of the best features in my opinion is the keep warm one in the program mode.  After your food is done cooking in that mode, it automatically switches to keep warm.  Ahhh....it's the little things in life, isn't it?

Anywho, let's move on to the best part of this post....Dum Da Da Dummmmm (enter cheesy drum roll) Crock Pot Taco Chicken Chili!!!!!  I promise you, you're going to love this.  L.O.V.E. IT!

Mmmm...before the 10 hours!


Now, the first time I make a recipe, I like to TRY to follow it to a T.  So I did that...for the most part...Not really.  ;)  I'll let you know what I did to mine, which really wasn't much different than what it calls for. My changes are in the ( ) 's.  So, without further ado....here it is!

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
Servings: 10

1 onion, chopped (I used minced, I'm not an onion fan)
1 16-oz can black beans (drained)
1 16-oz can kidney beans (drained)
1 8-oz can tomato sauce (I used 2 8-oz cans)
10 oz package frozen corn kernels (I used a 16oz bag of frozen corn)
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies (Rotel...Love That Stuff)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
24 0z. (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used frozen...I'm lazy!)
  Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (For topping)

 
Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker.  Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours (I opted for the 10 hours).  Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in.  Top with shredded cheese.

Yummo!!!!!


Now I know, the recipe says to take the chicken out and shred it and then put it back in the slow cooker.  Umm, no, that sounds messy.  SOOOOOooooo....I used this handy little gadget from Pampered Chef

Now, that's my friend's site, so don't feel like you have to use her's, that's just where I go ;)  It is the best $11 I have spent!    I know as WLS post-ops we all have some "tools of the trade" and this has quickly become mine for recipes like this.  

Bet you can't guess what's in my medium slow cooker for dinner tonight?  That's right...leftovers!  Yummo!  Enjoy!!!!! 

P.S.  Check out this Gooseberry Patch Book for more slow cooker recipes.  I just purchased this and can't wait to try some of their recipes.  I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE their books.  They have recipes submitted by a bunch of different people.  There's something for everyone's taste buds in their books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...