Thursday, January 17, 2013

Have You Ever Thought About Running?

Well, have you?  Did you ever think in a million years that you might actually enjoy this form of torture?  I know I never did...until last year.  I had been bit by the 5K bug.  Yep, you know that craze, the C25K (couch to 5k) plan.

There are many things to think about before you jump into your first 5K or even before jumping into the C25K workout.  First of all, this is a running pace that really is do-able for all of us.  Just have patience...if you're not ready to move onto the next week, no worries!  I've been known to do the same week twice because I just wasn't "there" yet and I knew if I tried to move forward, I wouldn't finish it and be mad at myself.  There is nothing wrong with repeating a day or a week.  If you take that advice, I promise you, you will be running in no time. 


There are many different apps out there for you to follow or download to your iPod or smartphone.  I have tried a bunch of different ones, but the one by Zen Labs is by far, in my opinion, the easiest one to use.  You can make your own playlists and listen to them while you work out.  It's AWESOME!!!!  
 
Now, before you get out there and hit the pavement, make sure you have a good pair of shoes for running, pants (that you won't trip on) that are comfy enough to move around in (I like to make sure I have a little...wiggle room for my thighs) and a comfortable shirt to run in.  If you're like me, you can't run in sweatpants and a sweatshirt.  They are just too plain heavy and when you start to sweat, they are clingy and I HATE that!  I love these pants, usually wear shirts like these (I HAVE to have thumb holes) or these and of course my good running shoes.  I'm a New Balance girl personally, but there are plenty of other options out there.  Take the time to visit a running store that will specially fit you for the shoe that is just right for you.  It's well worth the $$$ and will save your feet, knees and back down the road.

And last, but not least...your playlist.  Music is an important part of my running workout.  So many songs give me encouragement to keep going, whether it's the beat, the lyrics or just my favorite song.  I have to have my music.  If running is something you really end up getting into, I recommend getting a good armband, a good pair of ear buds and of course, a good music player.  I go between my iPod and my phone and am still looking for the perfect armband myself.  When I find it, I'll let you know!

I'm getting pretty pumped to get back into running.  I took about 3 months off, so the first week of the C25K is going to kick my butt...but that's what I need.  I have my sights set on 3 different 5K's so I need to get my rear in gear!  The first one being in April.  Then one in June and one in July. 

I need some new workout music, anyone have any suggestions?  Or does anyone have anything to add to this post or any questions?  I welcome them :) So, what are you waiting for?!  Let's get going!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...